Sunday, August 5, 2007

Book Feast


There are few things I enjoy more than receiving a package of recently ordered books in the mail for the upcoming school year. I finally own the whole Little House set! I'm glad I have the "excuse" of my children to own these books and get to read them again. "When a child is reading, he should not be teased with questions as to the meaning of what he has read, the signification of this word or that; what is annoying to older people is equally annoying to children..... A knowledge of meanings, that is, an ample and correct vocabulary, is only arrived at in one way - by the habit of reading. A child unconsciously gets the meaning of a new word from the context, if not the first time he meets with it, then the second or the third: but he is on the look-out, and will find out for himself the sense of any expression he does not understand." ~Charlotte Mason "Home Education" Volume 1

No comments: