Saturday, October 3, 2020

The Parks are Open!

 

And so we've been going to the parks. I love watching all the kids run around! 

And it's cooling down, so..... perfection.





And the neighbor cat Nina killed four of these birds (Wrens, I think) and didn't eat a one of them. She eats birds; we've witnessed that. 
Why didn't she eat these? Not hungry? Easy kills and just obeyed instinct? 
Jon and Phillip have been growing new grass in our front yard, so the birdies are now fertilizer. 



Liz is still selling cozy hats over on Instagram or Facebook!

I was listening to a podcast where a homeschool mom and writer was being interviewed (Susan Wise Bauer). She said that in the high school years, the homeschool parent becomes more of a guide and less of a teacher. The parent has to find the resources, curriculum, classes, online help that the child needs to learn his high school level material. 

I have definitely found this to be true! Firstly, high school age is ready to be more independent and in control of classes. Secondly, the mom can become an irritant ~ there needs to be some parent/child separation at that point. Thirdly, the child needs more interaction with other people and ways of doing things so they're prepared for college and bosses. 

There's still stuff we do together. We have about an hour of morning time where all the kids are eating breakfast and participating in readings, poetry, music, art...... And I'm usually reading something with my high schoolers ~ the Iliad this year, and a couple other books which Phoebe and Jon and I read together. 

But there's a lot more out of my hands in high school. I get to be the sounding board for other curricula and teachers that my high schooler is having a problem with instead of being the one he's complaining about. :-) 
I can do that. 





No comments: