Sunday, April 5, 2020

The Weird Quiet

Doesn't it seem like this panic is a weirdly quiet panic? 
We go out to get food or go to the park, and there are lots of people around, but they are all far apart from one another and just sort of quietly talking. I wish there was at least some loud music playing somewhere. Loud music is socially distant. Why is no one playing loud music?!


We had an ice cream picnic at Lady Bird Johnson Park. 
The playground was taped off, but there are a lot of beautiful grassy areas with trees and a little stream running down one side. 


The boys ran around. The girls walked and sat. I read a book and listened to a podcast and followed the stream until it left the park. I think it's part of Salado Creek Greenway. I've been wanting to bike that trail; we'll see if I get a chance this summer. 

Jonathan got in some driving practice and drove to see a couple of friends. He took a picture of their home and texted it to them. We got to wave to them from the window. Anything to go somewhere!



Liz can make a mean Whipped Coffee. 
It's very sweet so I don't think I'd choose it every day as a drink, but I sure enjoyed having the one she made for me. She and a friend also figured out how to make homemade Boba Tea. With the little tapioca balls and everything! Good going, girls. They've been exercising and learning piano and doing all kinds of good things to keep busy. 


So much toilet paper when I did my weekly shopping trip on Friday! It's not our usual brand and your purchase was limited to one, but there were no cops around this time and everyone was being calm in the store. The airport-sounding PSA's that interrupt the music weird me out a little. They now limit the number of people who can be in the store at a time, and they had a line for the eggs, and I could only get French style green beans instead of Cut green beans. Just a little shopping weirdness. Not earth shatteringly awful. 


Phillip and I have been going through drive through's for our date nights. If it's not rainy, we sit on the tailgate of the truck. That's fun. I prefer that to eating inside almost. It would be really fun to have other people around who are also tailgating, but there just aren't many people out. Come on, Texans! Tailgate already! And play your music loud!




We did an Art Contest for the kids to give them something to do besides be on their phone or fuss at each other. Harrison broke down on the last set we did. I said this was just a fun, lighthearted thing. He said we should call it something else then, instead of Art Contest. Something like Fun Drawing Art Thingy. So I guess that's what we did. A Fun Drawing Art Thingy.

The first set was to draw a llama surfing. Jon won first place for "Most Serene Scene."
The second set was to draw a food eating another food. Harrison won first place for "Most Expressive Pizza and Bacon" (and then he told me it was a hot dog; oops).
The third set was to draw a crayon crying. Phoebe won first place for "Most Completed Crayon" (Harrison had erased his and started crying and Jon was annoyed and said he was done). 

Anyway, some laughs, some tears, and some drawings for the fridge. 



For church today we went to our church's Drive-In service. You listen to the songs and sermon through the radio and take communion that you brought yourself. Short and sweet, and we're really glad they are doing what they can to keep church going during lock-down. It was good to see people from church, but it was a little sad too! You didn't get to talk to people. I mean, we did say hi through our window.  But it was the Weird Quiet again.

 I'm so grateful for the kids being at home. I'm thankful for the phone and internet. I'm loving podcasts right now. Nature is awesome ~ it's free and social-distancing friendly. 

I can't wait for public exuberance to return.

No comments: