Wednesday, April 22, 2020

My Developing Relationship with One-Ply


The shelves offer more toilet paper now, for which I am grateful. I can live without pasta or Del Monte Cut Green Beans, but TP is essential -- a tough item to lose.

These shelf offerings are unknown to me. Where is my familiar Charmin Essentials Soft?! I see Angel Soft over there, but I've been down that road before and it was disappointing.

We have strange faces staring back at us: Aqua, Rojo, Hill Country Essentials. I recognize the Hill Country label so that's the one I choose.

I take it home. It is dense. Hefty. Promising a substantial roll instead of a readily emptying one.

But, oh! Discoveries! Alas, it is one-ply. The dreaded, joke-inducing one-ply. So thin. So..... cheap. It doesn't tear at the perforations! Are there perforations? An attempt, presumably, at perforations.




Time passes and I grow to appreciate my one-ply. It is indeed a hefty roll. Though thin, it be sturdy. It lasts a long time between tube changes. If not the handsomest of packaging, it is reliable and not altogether unpleasant. I come to be surprised at how much I delight in one-ply when compared with other knavish plies I have purchased.

During this novel coronavirus, I have learned true love. A love for the vexatious, the irksome, the infernal. A love that has not only come to tolerate one-ply, but may even keep him around when new choices appear on the shelves.

No comments: