Sunday, March 29, 2020

Covid-19 - Living History

The virus itself may not be unprecedented (hello, Spanish Flu), but the reaction to it around the world has indeed been unprecedented, certainly in recent history. And as Sonya said over at Simply Charlotte Mason, "You are living history right now." 

So the kids have put Covid-19 on their timelines and Book of Centuries, and I am leaving our family's little footprint on the blog, and the kids will have their memories to tell their kids and grandkids. 

What strange times. 

It seems like a crisis is happening because of everything that's shut down, but when you go out and about and talk to people, it's a very calm crisis. I have to say I've talked to more people in town than I've ever normally talked to. People are out on walks and out in their front yards or waiting in line with you at the grocery store. I'm finding it quite friendly and enjoyable. No one has sneezed or coughed on me yet. :-) 

Watching the church service from home. 
Alec and Martha came over today to watch with us. We had lunch together and played some games. Fun times.

I found a Pinterestey idea to try. 
Liz taped it up and Harrison and I chalked it in with our nubs of whatever school chalk we could find. 

These cuties were playing a game of telephone and were laughing it up so loud! They can be quite hilarious when they aren't fighting with each other. 

I got to HEB 15 minutes before they opened on my normal shopping day, and there were probably 75 people in front of me. 

But I still got in the store in time to get 1 package of TP! 
There was a policeman guarding it. I still don't understand why the run on paper products. 

I got everything I had on my list as long as I didn't mind different brands from my usual. 
Not too shabby. 

The food from the school lunches that my neighbor kids don't like makes it to my house. 
So we have a TON of fruits and vegetables. 
Liz is an experienced Juice Bar Maid (from working at Avocado Cafe), and she graciously made us juices with the bounty. The Sweet and Spicy was my favorite. It has some cayenne pepper that gives it a lovely zing. 



A good wind for kite-flying.


The new routine adds a little stress to the week, but we made it through last week and with God's gracious help, we will make it through this one coming up. It's not super hard; it's mostly annoying in spots. But God gives us help when we ask, even if it is just for small annoying things. As a matter of fact, dealing with small annoying things with the patience and kindness and joy that a Christian should practice is what prepares you for the "big" crises that come. So, we are thanking God for this practice in a time of Covid and pray that you may "bear fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God."

No comments: