Friday, July 21, 2017

VBS and Austin

We had a full week with VBS this past week. I woke up at 5 am the first morning of VBS and wondered if Mrs. Tina (the children's director) had gotten any sleep that night. I was a regular volunteer this week, but I feel for those who are in charge of things like this!


Jonathan was a Group Leader; he had a group of 10 or so kids that he stuck with throughout the morning. I helped with registration and then wherever needed: nursery and crafts. I enjoyed both of those. I'm a task-oriented person, and they both provided plenty of tasks.

Austin!

I've been listening to a podcast by CiRCE called Close Reads. It's a book club discussion done by three people (mainly). They sometimes have a guest on. Anyway, I found out they were going to do a live recording at the CiRCE conference in Austin, TX. They were sold out of tickets to the conference (I couldn't have attended the whole conference this year anyway), but they answered on Facebook that locals could attend the live podcast. So I got to go! 

The above is Angelina Stanford and Andrew Kern.


And these are the three main podcasters: David Kern, Tim McIntosh, and Angelina.  

It was so much fun to be there! I started fading towards the end because it went for two hours and it was past my bedtime. But I was so glad I got to go. There were several things I had considered doing this summer that were "homeschool mom/planning/encouragement" type things and this one won out. 
I bought a mug to commemorate the event. 

The book we were discussing is Brideshead Revisited, by the way. I'd never heard of it before. I got  so much more out of it listening to their discussion. 

I'm googling the motto on the mug there, and I'm coming up with "Wisdom and Virtue," "Wisdom and Courage," and Wisdom and Power." So they either want us to be virtuous, courageous, or powerful...... Anyone with Latin knowledge, please chime in. 




No comments: