Friday, October 26, 2007

Nature Study



Part of science for Elizabeth's education is nature study. Charlotte Mason principles would have you be outside for up to 6 hours a day! We, however, are outside for maybe an hour a day. One day a week we concentrate on nature study or go on a nature walk. We take our nature study kit with us which includes binoculars, compass, magnifying glass, bug catcher kit, tweezers, ziplock bags, colored pencils and nature notebook. I usually just let the kids explore where they want; I might point out one or two observations to them. I try not to do this near a playground so that they won't be distracted by the toys, but will just enjoy nature. I remember playing outside a lot growing up and still remember the bugs and plants and trees I learned about just by being around them. And sometimes by being bored. Boredom can lead to great creativity. Elizabeth finds something to draw, describe (which I write down) or tape in her nature notebook. This is a part of the Charlotte Mason method that I'm glad to adhere to because it gets me out of the house which I am sometimes loath to do.

No comments: