Saturday, January 8, 2022

To Louisiana from Missouri

 

We've been driving across I-10 to Louisiana for 15 years. We got to try out a new route this time, traveling south from Missouri.

I tell you what ~ it's real nice that it gets a little warmer the further you drive!


It was just Harrison and I. Sad face. The kids are growing up. They have jobs and college and classes and they can't just pick up and go like they used to.


I stopped to get this picture before I got on the highway. The sun was shining on the tree branches and grass blades and all that ice was just sparkling. It was truly beautiful as we drove out of Missouri.


Mom and Dad bought a house and several acres of land near Jennings, LA. The couple who sold it left a lot of nice stuff there. Decor, beds, furniture, appliances, kitchen things..... The lady wanted to start over with their new house and decorate it differently. 

My parents have been living in a camper trailer for years as they've saved up money to buy when they were ready for retirement. The house they bought is such a joy. So comfortable too! I'm so happy for them.


We went to the park in Jennings like we almost always do.


Harrison and Aupa held the baby alligator.


My mom and I made crawfish sauce piquant! Our first time (well, I just chopped vegetables; my mom is the one who really made it). 

Mrs. Sally was telling me at church that sauce piquant means a sauce with a sharp flavor and it's always red. And Étouffée means smothered (which means you cook it down). I remember etouffée having a light roux in it too. 

It was so-o good. I took home the leftovers.


Harrison is sitting in the rocker I grew up with. I didn't know we had it still. A lot of stuff has been in storage waiting for a home. My dad rocked all of us in this chair, and I remember sitting in it next to our radio, which was likely playing Easy Listening, and reading books.


Slippers that Grandma Smith (Alice) made. My mom gave them to me to wear since it was a little chilly the day we arrived.


Harrison is reading a book of Far Side cartoons.


Dad is figuring out how to work the RC Plane Harrison got for Christmas.


It's a mite touchy, but Harrison's got some experience with it now so he's more comfortable to try it here at home on his own.


Company came over to eat with us ~ Mr. Johnny and Mrs. Kristine, Mrs. Aline, Uncle Gerald.


I got to hear a lot of stories from the past while they visited. 


Mrs. Aline told us how she met her husband (Mr. Wallace passed away not too long ago) and stories from early in their marriage. We met them when we first moved to Louisiana when I was 4 and moved in right next door. Our family and theirs ended up doing some homeschooling, so even when moved away from that house, we met up with the Heberts quite a bit for field trips and co-ops and just to go over and visit. 


She is so comfortable to be around; I enjoy talking education with her.


Mrs. Kristine is Teressa's mom. She's a great cook and had me over for many a sleepover. I believe I had tripe at her house. (I can't say I loved it, but I do enjoy trying new foods.) Teressa and her sister left the state on a lark to chase snow, so I didn't get to see them. But I followed their snow adventures on Facebook and was happy for them. 

I learned a lot about Mrs. Kristine's life too, while they visited. Heard more information about childhood church happenings that I had witnessed but didn't really know what was going on. 

It's grounding to talk with people from your past. I only lived in Louisiana for 6 1/2 years, but it was a very formative time and I consider it to be my home. This visit was good for my soul. I'm so happy I grew up with these people.


Mr. Johnny was not a Christian when I was a child, and I remember so many people praying for him for so many years. He is a Christian now, and he is a changed man. It was his birthday on this day.


Harrison got a picture of us doing exercises after we stuffed ourselves. 
My mom knows how to talk people into doing crazy things. 


I think Harrison had the most fun on this trip fishing with my dad. The neighbor has a pond that they invited Dad to fish in.


Harrison caught the most. I believe he caught 6 here and then 2 or 3 the next day. My dad said they were brim, a kind of sunfish.


A good clear road, a beautiful day, and nothing to do but drive and think. I find that perfect. By the way, the trip down I-55 is a good one. The cities aren't fun for driving, of course (St. Louis, Memphis, Jackson, Baton Rouge). But most of the driving hours are very comfortable ~ light traffic, lots of rest areas, good roads. I-10 (which is what we took when we lived in Florida and Texas) is stressful compared to this trip, even though this one is 12 hours.

I shouldn't say I just drove and thought. I listened to lots of podcasts. 

If you are a Christian, you might enjoy Ask Pastor John. I do not always agree with him, but he always has short, thoughtful, Scriptural things to say. If you are a homeschooler or teacher, The Play's the Thing is excellent for learning about specific Shakespeare plays that you might be teaching your children (7 hours on Merchant of Venice anyone? That's the play we'll be doing in a few weeks). If you're just a normal person, you might enjoy Bird Note, a short daily podcast on birds. 


Well, we made it there and back in one piece with no accidents and good weather (thank you, Lord; truly). And tonight I fried up some of Harrison's fish. He said it tasted like chicken.

No comments: