Monday, January 3, 2022

Everything is Frozen


The Midwest had a winter storm go through this weekend. Town got some snow, but out here in the country, we got mainly ice. No power outages, no wrecks around us, the roads got salted or sanded, so they're all good. The biggest thing that happened was church was cancelled and I moved my trip to Louisiana by one day.



The kids have really enjoyed going out in this to just play. It's a strange crystal world, I guess. Phoebe went out with wet hair and it froze stick straight. She's outside here; just standing in front of the shed.


The kids enjoy going to the Jacyna's family holiday gatherings after we've done our own family celebrating. Jonathan is playing Twister with Quinter and his dad. I think he won.


Harrison and Silas.


Gabry and Jack came over to practice songs with Jonathan. They're going to lead some worship songs at church at some point. And after practice they played a new game the San Antonio Vickery's gave us for Christmas. 


Our yearly game of Catan. 
It gets a little long for someone at some point, so it's hard to get everyone on board for a game. So we play it maybe once a year.


Phillip and Harrison burning the boxes and Christmas tree right before the winter storm hit.


Phillip also finished putting up the porch posts and trimming them out. We're going to paint them black, but we have to wait for warmer weather. 


I made kale and bacon for New Year's. Where did the tradition come from to eat greens and black-eyed peas on New Year's? I didn't necessarily grow up with this, but I've heard about it, so I've been trying different recipes over the past new years. 

Google says we eat them because they are green and represent wealth, so I guess you eat them so you'll have wealth that year. Yecchhh. Not my favorite reason to have a tradition. Sounds superstitious-ey. I'll just eat them because I enjoy them. 


Elizabeth's parking garage paintings around Joplin were featured in Connect2Culture. "A local artist and college student, Gore completed a handful of simple yet poignant paintings throughout downtown Joplin in spring/summer of 2021." How fun is that?! 


Across from County Market. The sun is out today and shining on all the icicled tree branches.

Sunrise 

Sunset

 

No comments: