Saturday, January 22, 2022

A Taste of Real Winter

We've had some reminders of what Real Winter is like up here in the Midwest. Of course Missouri doesn't get it as bad as someplaces like Wisconsin or Montana. 

Winter isn't the favorite season for any of us, I don't think (although Phoebe would prefer to freeze than to sweat, so this might be her preference). So much about it is confining instead of freeing. Plus, there are so many ways to die. 😜

But I'm enjoying the community spirit about it around Vandalia. Everyone is in the same boat ~ we all have to get out of our driveway; we all have to wear long johns and hats and gloves; we all have the heat turned up. Maybe it's my temperament, but I enjoy being "in" things together with others. Even if those things include bitter cold weather. And this is our first winter back, so I may very well be bemoaning the cold in a few years. But right now, I'm enjoying the change of having snow and the community spirit surrounding it.


Phillip had his 47th birthday a few weeks ago. We celebrated with Boston Cream Pie like we usually do. 


A church friend came over to visit for a warm afternoon right before the snow came. She lives only a couple of miles away in a house that was owned by Phillip's great uncle back in the day. It's a stately home with a wrought iron fence surrounding it; I love driving by it going into town.


We got about 4 inches of snow last weekend. Phillip took this picture of our house from the mailbox.

Harrison woke up to the snow and he came running out to Phillip: "At first I thought my window had frosted over. Then I noticed the water pump had snow on it! We should take a picture of the house from the lane!" He was very excited. The kids have all played out there together. And I got on Amazon to order water proof gloves and boots and a mud rug.



Jonathan had to work, so he didn't get to "play" in the snow until it was almost evening.


He named his "snowman" Doug. Elizabeth texted, "That's terrifying." That was more of the reaction he wanted instead of the "Ohhh, he's so cute!" that he got from the youth group girls. I thought Doug looked a little like the Michelin Man.


Sunset.


Phillip and Jamie are teaching Restoration History at church on Sunday nights. 
Last Sunday night was their first session, and they did an excellent job. There's so much I've forgotten from my college classes! 


Phillip and Phoebe playing velcro darts in the boy's room.


Cocoa and toast is our cozy winter evening tradition when we're all at home and a little bit bored.



 

No comments: