Monday, June 7, 2021

The Land Around Our House

 

I've never lived in the country. The smallest town I've lived in was 9,000. Our kids have never lived in the country. 

Jonathan does wish that he lived in town right now. Since he's there at least three times a day, he would rather not have the 7 minute drive. (He can deal. I'm glad he drives! He's been up at 6 am every weekday this summer to go to the YMCA and work out with buddies.)

Phoebe said today that she is thankful to be in the country. She was remembering her window view in San Antonio which was a faded fence, several duplexes, the Organics waste can, and, most of the year, straggly sticky-burred grass and weeds. She remembers walking outside and wishing it was grass beneath her feet instead of concrete. I'm glad she can now have a much better view and lots of soft grass beneath her feet. 


We are on the highest point in Ralls county, so we have an awesome panoramic view of the sky. We had a nice storm today right after Mr. R finished planting the field around our house. Phillip said this was a good thing. I thought maybe the rain would wash away the seeds, but apparently it's okay.


It's been a cold, rainy spring, so the farmers are planting later than they would like. Mr. R was able to get into our field this weekend (do you see that red tractor in the distance?), so now all the fields around our house are planted. It's soybeans this year. 


This field to the east of us was planted before all the rain, so it's got a nice green sheen to it.


It looks just like our styrofoam cup bean plants that we did in Kindergarten! 
Beans are beans. I just love it.



Before the fields were plowed, I walked the field north of us from our house to the main Highway. I found out later that it's a mile in distance. A pretty good walk! It was rough and stubbly, but I imagine that gives me a better workout.


It smelled damp and a little ocean-like. There's the house and bins in the distance.



I was trying to get home before sunset. It gave me great "How Much Land Does a Man Need?" vibes. (Great Tolstoy short story if you've never read it.)

No comments: