Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Spring Leads to Summer

Today is one of the first days I have felt I could be a little lazy. It's summer, so I don't have daily school to do. I am doing a little yard work and house work every day, but there's nothing pressing for my time. Self, let me enjoy this! I tend to want to add activity when I get bored instead of just enjoying the down time.


Harrison made this handicraft for school. Well, I helped a little. 
But he does know how to crochet now.


We have found so many dead baby birds around here! This poor little guy fell out of the auger and survived for three days. He was a fighter. I was hoping he would make it, but he finally gave out. We think he's a starling.


On Memorial Day we went to the community service at the graveyard. Papa was there to tell us about family graves. I really should have taken notes. But we will do it again. 

It was chilly!

And can I say that I love being in a place that has a community Memorial Day service? In a city that you didn't grow up in, there's really not that kind of thing to be a part of. There may have been multiple services somewhere in the large city, but why would we hear about them? And which one would we care about going to? And who would be there that we would connect with? And whose graves would we look at to know our history? 

Every day I am amazed that we get to live here. 


This is Ashford Gore's grave marker. 

He was the first Gore who came from Tennessee or thereabouts and settled in this area.


Harrison turned 11! 

He wanted pound cake with whipped cream and strawberries.


Brothers putting together birthday gifts.


He wanted to go to the pool for his birthday. Vandalia has an awesome pool.


Turns out the big downpour after the fields around us were planted did wreak a little havoc. The rain pounded the ground and made it hard so that the seedlings would snap when they tried to come up. So they rolled the dirt and then did some replanting. But I think they are done now. They said that last year they finished planting on July 2, so mid-June isn't too shabby. 

(I'm probably getting lots of terminology wrong; forgive me, those of you in-the-know.)


Liz came for the weekend. Her previous job in Joplin did not pan out, so she's been applying around and just got another job at a dry cleaners. She gets to live with a friend and family ~ she's in a house full of girls and it sounds like they have a good time.


Jon invited friends over for a game day. 
I really enjoyed having them in our home. They are so fun to listen in on!


Harrison is at his first week of camp. A sponsor got a picture of him talking to another kid. 

I just love this picture so much. He comes home tomorrow. He was very nervous about camp, so we're eager to hear all about how it went.

 

No comments: