Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Jambalaya

My first try at a favorite Cajun dish: jambalaya! Mrs. Faye shared the recipe (via my Mom); I had to call her afterward to get some things straight. But it still tasted good and familiar and I can't wait to try it again!

Carmelize some sugar in some oil (I used butter, which was one of my problems).


Brown the boneless pork ribs (I cut off the fat, another problem). Add some water and cook it down to tenderize the pork. Brown it some more.


Add the sausage and cook a little more. Then add garlic and onion and saute. Add the salt and black and red pepper now? I can't remember what Mrs. Faye said. I didn't add ~ totally forgot till the end! And I didn't add enough, it was a little bland.


Add the water (3 cups of water for 2 cups of rice). Bring to a boil, then add the rice. Lower the temperature to medium and cook about 20 minutes. Cover, lower the temp some more and cook till rice is tender. Stir several times so rice doesn't stick to the bottom.


Even with all the mistakes, I still enjoyed it! I think I'll have some more of it for supper. Another favorite I recently discovered at Walmart: boudin'! It was not as good as some I've had, but it wasn't horrible either. I'll get it again when I'm homesick for Cajun cooking.

No comments: