Monday, September 26, 2022

Mimi's Family Visits

Lots going on around our place!


Look at that sunrise. 


From our front porch we watched the first field harvested ~ from the first swath down to the very end kind of late that night. They did it all in one day. (Granted, 9:30 pm is late for me.)


One wall of corn down!


We are having the old sidewalks taken up, the cellar pushed in, and new sidewalks laid. And then a built-up gravel parking area that will let us out near the sidewalks, and we won't have to walk through mud to get to the house! I'm excited about that.



All of Mimi's siblings came to visit last week. Phoebe and I went with the ladies to Hannibal to visit the General Store. There is always something good to buy there (spices, candies, lunch). And they give you free ice cream cones. 


They came over for supper Thursday night. 


I am overjoyed to have people in our home. I really enjoy a crowd that's having a good time. And this is a crowd that can talk and have a good time for many hours.




One sister (Janet) is missing because she passed away last year. There were some tears remembering her, but there were so many smiles all week too. 


Elayne's three brothers ~ all of them preachers (two are retired now).



Anita is the youngest sister and is just a few years older than Phillip (like, 10 years). She homeschooled also, and we have lots to talk about when we see her. She helped me with the meal this night, and I shared my gumbo recipe with her and her family likes it! That blesses me.



Wives of brothers. 
I hadn't seen Carolyn since Phoebe was a baby. Last time we saw her, she bought us a bag of Baby Ruths because Jonathan couldn't say Phoebe and would call her Bebe Ruth (Phoebe Ruth). Carolyn thought that was so funny.

Pat is always fun to talk to ~ I enjoy ministry stories, and she and Earl have lots of them.




The kids helped at the church booth on Prairie Days on Saturday. 
Friday was cold and rainy, but Saturday was warm and sunny. The church gave out snow cones and hot cocoa. I know those items seem at odds. But it's the time of year when it's summer in the sun and winter in the shade.


The parade. 
Uncle Lee was on the Veteran's float and Uncle Larry was on the Class of ('62?) float.


Lunch was barbecue on the lawn in front of the YMCA.


Phoebe has been working on these corn husk dolls that she'll use for fall decor in our home.


Look how cute! She hand-stitched the dress and everything.



I just printed out this shawl knitting pattern that Lanaya Elizabeth wrote. It's called "Someone's Daughter." (I'm having a memory lapse; I may have shared all of this before.)

This is the blurb she wrote inside: 

"My mother would toss seeds for the birds out near the marigolds she had planted. She taught us to watch and wonder. To observe what we could in the commonplace. And so we plant marigolds of our own and watch the birds because we're someone's daughter." 

Tear. That's so beautifully written.

She has knitted hats for adults and babies for sale right now!




 

No comments: