Sunday, November 22, 2020

To Missouri to Haul Home a Liz

 A flight over to MO to help Liz drive back home from college. 
Flying is scary. We could quickly tell it would be an iffy proposition for our flight to land on time. Planes are claustrophobic in normal times, how much more so when forced to wear a mask. My heart was pounding from nervousness, from claustrophobia, from fear. 

We land late. All of us rush around the Dallas airport. Hopes are up as we rush to another gate. Hopes are dashed. Hopes back up as a random stewardess hears me say Joplin and tells me there's a flight with empty seats. That had not been offered as a solution ~ that flight was not even on the airport reader board. Hopes back up. Arrive and gate area is empty. Dashed. Finally find someone to help me and they are able to get me on the plane. Not much ruined except for a couple of hours of worry and rushing around and poor Aunt Kristy waiting at Springfield airport for me, only to finally find out that I would not be arriving there. (Sorry, Kristy! But thank you so much for being there for me anyway.) 

Back on another plane. It's dark. More stars visible than from our city. Fear is back. I'm alone in my row, so I lower my mask and face the window to look at the stars. I'm no good in an emergency. What do I do if the plane goes down? I ask God for safety. But planes go down surely while others ask for safety. Where is God in that pain? Where is He with this fear? I have firm answers and many CS Lewis quotes when my feet are planted firmly on the ground. But they are not here in the airplane.

Liz is there to pick me up from Joplin airport. It's only 10 minutes from the college! OCC has a hospitality room available for me. It's warm and clean and inviting. Such a welcome relief. 

The next morning my front door scene is this ~ rainy woods, squirrels chattering, leaves twirling on bare branches. It's a balm to my soul.


I read a chapter from Job. Satan tells God that Job of course worships Him because of the hedge God has placed around him. Who wouldn't worship God when everything is going great? And of course, there is a bit of an answer to my fear. Will I only worship God when things go well for me? Will I not praise Him in pain and fear? I hope that I will. I want to.




Liz is back home. We are all here safe and sound. 

And I thank God.

No comments: