Saturday, May 9, 2020

A Celebration of People Gathering

Texas is opening up from the lock-down. 
San Antonio is not allowing all that our Governor is allowing (not sure how that works), so still no libraries, no church gatherings, no schools. But the malls are open for those stores that want to be open (maybe 1/6 of the mall stores are open near us). Some of the stores allow you to use the dressing room, some don't. Some restaurants allow you to dine in, some don't. You never know what you're going to get when you head out there. I guess that's kind of adventuresome though. And I've always liked a little bit of adventure.

I was very happy to see a number of social gatherings this week. Not necessarily planned gatherings; people were made by God to be in community and they will wander toward each other. 

I pass by this home on one of my usual walks. I really love this clean, earthy set up. There's an RV in the driveway. The yard is bare dirt, but the kind that's hard packed and swept clean like Ma Ingalls used to live on. There is a clothesline from tree to tree. Nice set of wooden chairs and bench under the tree, lovely plant life. And often easy, relaxing music is pumped out into the yard and is so pleasing to hear as I walk home. 

Yesterday as I walked, I heard these neighbors loudly solving the world's problems. I think they were talking so loudly because they were sitting so far apart. I asked if I could take their picture. They offered me a beer. I thanked them, but left with just the picture. :-)


And we took another walk up Comanche Lookout Hill. A family of eight (or so) was there. You can see all the little kids sitting on the ledge. So cute.
A guy was there playing the ukulele. I'm pretty sure he was playing at Rolling Oaks mall soon after the shooting a few years ago. Someone else in my neighborhood plays their trumpet in the evening. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from. Jon thinks they're playing because their family wants them to play outside the house. I think they just want to share music with the downtrodden world. 


One of the neighbor boys went with us to the hill. He's a nature-loving kid. He's always capturing bugs and wanting to discover a new species. He said this was the best time he's E-ver Had. 
Ahh, a kid after my own heart.

And we walked one round of the mall tonight. The hat store was finally open, so Phillip could get a new Cardinal's cap. This barber shop is always a hoppin' place. It's very welcoming; I always want to join in the fun when I pass by. I was glad to see them open. They didn't have any extra people sitting around like they usually do (although there was quite the crowd in the hall ~ waiting their turn, I guess). 

Two more weeks of school!

No comments: