Thursday, November 28, 2019

Thanksgiving Meal without an Oven



But first, Jon started a fire for the neighbor kids one night this week. If you've never had bacon fried over a fire, you need to try it! It's so good. We had s'mores too, but the bacon stole the show.


And onto Thanksgiving without an oven. 
We were in the process of baking cookies Tuesday and realized the oven had not heated up. We fiddled around with it and finally emailed the property manager to ask for someone to come over. Of course no one got the message because of holidays. 


So then we figured out how we could do everything using stove top, microwave, and crockpot. The baked goods (rolls and desserts) were just store bought from HEB. We all love King's Hawaiian rolls, so that wasn't a problem. We got a lemon tart and frozen chocolate pie for dessert. The earlier requests had been brownies and lemon bars, and I thought these were close. But they just weren't as good. But it was fine. 


The pork loin was done in the crock pot. We did a cream cheese/jalapeño/bacon stuffed pork tenderloin. I thought it tasted pretty good, but presentation was lacking. I'd like to figure that out. The picture on the internet looked so good, but mine was pretty messy. 

Everything else was cooked on the stove. Even the sweet potato soufflé (I left out the egg) and green bean casserole. We had way too much to eat, so it was a successful Thanksgiving meal.





And High Noon was our chosen movie of the afternoon. A good, simple plot; cowboys....

At Grandma's growing up we would cycle through Meet Me in St. LouisLes MiserablesPrincess BrideFiddler on the Roof, and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. I feel like there may have been others, but those are the ones I remember the most. I have lots of nostalgia for those movies now.



Alec came over after cooking for his Navy fellows. 
We quickly lost a game of Pandemic together. (It's all the players against the game.) 
Had some good conversation, watched an episode of The Mandalorian


It's been Seattle kind of weather this past week. Gray clouds, just cold enough, a dreary tint over everything. I don't mind this every once in a while, so I'm enjoying it while it's here. 

My parents and siblings and I were able to text each other back and forth all day. I kind of love that. We can share pictures and short messages and little videos. I think Dad had 3 or 4 different message groups going that he had me tacked onto. (smh) It was fun though. 

Happy Thanksgiving 2019!


No comments: