Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Malaquite Beach 2018

Pelicans flying low.

We made another trip to Malaquite Beach with the Travis family this year. It was a week ago and we are still paying for the lack of application of sunscreen. I should say the mis-application of sunscreen, because we did apply it. Just not often or well enough. Despite our crispy burns, we had an awesome time and will plan for another year. 

Emily and Harrison.

The waves were high and powerful for Gulf Coast waves. They were so loud that if you stared off into the waves, you could imagine you were alone because you couldn't hear all the people behind you. The sky was large. The sand was smooth..... I believe a piece of secluded beach would make an ideal vacation spot for me. I would also like a walking-distance crab-shack that serves homemade clam chowder.

 There were quite a few people at the beach and a bathroom/shower/visitor center area. And a jeep of park rangers (?) or some kind of people who looked liked they'd be helpful in a crisis. It calmed the fears a bit when our older kids went further than I'd probably be able to go to save them from ocean depths. 

Moon Jelly and Man o' War

We found several man o' wars on the beach. Thankfully no one was stung. The visitor center has antidotes for the sting, but I just read one lady's account of being stung and it does not sound fun! Jellyfish on the beach are pretty to look at, regardless.

Sandcastles and digging holes and being buried.

It was too wet and sandy to get many pictures past the first half hour of arrival. Liz' friend Adelyn was able to come with us. Phoebe stayed home because she was still getting over being sick from camp. She actually relished a full day at home with no siblings or peers around. 

I had time last week to write a post about the beach, but I felt so bummed that I hadn't done a better job keeping the kids sunscreened up, that I didn't feel I could say anything about the beach until we had healed. And I'm very thankful we are on the way. I prayed for God's mercy! 

We will make better plans for next year. 

No comments: