Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Ice Cream Outings and the Witte Museum


Elizabeth has been asking to go there. It's near the Witte Museum, which I wanted to visit, so we made an afternoon of it. 


This is very much hipster ice cream. 


You choose your popsicle flavor, what you want it dipped in, the drizzle and the dash (a little dusting of something at the end). I got an Orangesicle, but the flavor was a tart tangerine flavor instead of the mild orange flavor I was expecting. I enjoyed it; I'm just not sure I'd get it again. The kids got varying degrees of chocolate and caramel. Elizabeth got a peach one, I believe. All of them were delicious! 


This is a treat place, so we won't go here very often. But I would definitely recommend it for anyone looking for something different and fun. 

A cicada on the wall to the entrance of the Witte.

The Witte is free on Tuesdays from 3-8. They've added quite a bit to it since we last went ~ a cool dinosaur exhibit ~ we didn't pay to see that, but there were lots of dinosaur-ish things spilling out into the museum thoroughfare. There's also a new "Habitats of Texas"-type room. I loved this one because  I got to see the names of some birds that I've been wondering about. Also, George Strait narrated a part of the exhibit. 


Phoebe's mustache pick

Phoebe and Jon voted on the most epic mustaches in this room full of pictures of..... cattle owners from the area? I actually couldn't figure out who these guys were, but there was a room covered in pictures of men with epic mustaches. 

Jonathan's mustache pick

Jonathan playing the Relax game.

There's an area of the Witte that explores all things Human Body: exercise areas, x-ray room, etc. The kids love this game ~ two people put a band around their head; the most relaxed person moves this ball down toward the competitor. Once the ball reaches the competitor, you've won! Jonathan was really good at it. I tried it with Phoebe and we were both keeping the ball pretty neutral. I finally lifted my head and tried to stress myself out to see what would happen, and it took longer than I thought it would for Phoebe to win that way, so I'm wondering if the game's not a little rigged. Or I'm no good at stressing myself out.



Guess what Liz did at the museum? Yes. She sat there and knitted almost the whole time. 
We're such nerdy homeschoolers. 


And in honor of National Ice Cream day, Emily's at Cibolo was giving out free ice cream yesterday, so we participated in the yumminess. 



No comments: