Saturday, May 27, 2017

Grandpa Black's Funeral


My mom's dad passed away last week. My mom and the kids and I were planning to head over to see him this very Memorial Day weekend. But he had been having chest pains, he found out his heart had blockages, the doctor agreed to surgery. He made it through the surgery and seemed on the recovery but had a heart attack a few days after the operation. He was almost 90.


So we made plans to be there for the funeral instead of going this weekend. My brother preached the sermon. A young man played two songs on the accordion for the music. My mom saw many people who passed through for the visitation. The kids and I left the morning of the funeral and arrived about an hour before the service, so we missed seeing many, but I was glad for who we did get to visit with. 

My childhood bestie Teressa and her sister Nettie.

Teressa's family had gotten close to Mr. Black. Demi is the little girl being held by Zachary (T's son). Demi is Nettie's daughter (T's sis). Grandpa would talk about her and what a toot she was. I wrote about Grandpa and my mom's reunion a few years ago. Teressa's mom was very helpful in connecting my mom and her dad back together.

Zachary ~ always there to teach my boys how to be country boys.



Teressa's beautiful girl, Jayda. 
She's a little bit older than Elizabeth; they hang and do teen stuff.

My brother has grown a full-out beard. He's got quite the persona going on. A little bit Amish, a little bit 1920's. Or is it the 19-teens? I'm actually not up on my historic styles. But he looks like a guy from a bygone era. 

Dad and Mike.

We hung out at Teressa's after the funeral service. My mom and Mrs. Kristine hanging out at the sink, as always. 

We talked and ate and played cards till late at night. I had been up since 4 that morning and was so tired! But we had a lot of fun. 

The next day was dropping Aupa off at the Lafayette airport so he could get back to Seattle for work. He had driven Mom down and flew back so she could keep the car.

We stopped by this little park by the airport. We always see it and never stop. There was a lake and a river and several fisher-people.

Mom and me.

Elizabeth googled a yarn store in Lafayette. It was in a neat little shopping area. We browsed the yarn, a tea shop, and a chocolate shop. Nana bought everyone their choice of chocolates. The kids climbed these thick crepe myrtles. The crepe myrtles around us are all young and skinny ~ you can't climb them. Mike showed us around a coin shop to end our Lafayette stint.

On the way back, we stopped in Rayne to see my childhood home. They've fixed it up nicely! I don't know if it still is, but it was divided into two homes when we rented it. There was no heating or air conditioning while we are there, but I'm sure they've fixed that. 

I had to get a picture of "the rich man's" house. When we were in public school, my mom would send us over periodically for lunch money: "Go ask the rich man if you can borrow lunch money. Tell him we'll pay him back Friday." :-) We payed him back. Funny memories.



No comments: