Saturday, October 2, 2021

Prairie Days


Vandalia's fair time is called Prairie Days. *

I'm not sure it's a fair, per se; there weren't any rides this year. But there were market booths, a parade (with lots of candy!), games, children's activities, food, and live music. There was a great crowd without it being overcrowded. 


I really love this ~ all the tractors coming down the road. 

We went to one parade in San Antonio where the cattle ended their long cattle drive going through the downtown streets.  That was a really neat parade, but it was hard to find parking and hard to see through the crowds.


Uncle Lee was on the Veteran's float.


There were several people that we knew from church in the high school band. 


We love the horses and cowboy hats. 

Harrison didn't realize he would need a bag for all the candy that was thrown to him. He stuffed his pockets and my purse full.

To me, live music is always fun. There's something about watching people do what they love in front of an audience. There's a confidence, or maybe a little bit of bravado, to being on stage. I don't think I have it at all, but I admire it.


This past Monday, they harvested the soybeans across from our lane. We did school outside so we could watch. It only took a few hours before they were out of there, and I didn't want to miss it. It was dusty, but thankfully the wind was blowing away from us.



I think I'm going to start a collection of Quotes from Famous Dead People on Current Women's Issues. I have two to share. Please pass any others you know along to me.

Warning: Read with humor.

Martin Luther "Women have wide fundament......" 😂 (my favorite!)
“Men have broad shoulders and narrow hips, and accordingly they possess intelligence. Women have narrow shoulders and broad hips. Women ought to stay at home; the way they were created indicates this, for they have broad hips and a wide fundament to sit upon [keep house and bear and raise children].”  — Martin Luther

Samuel Johnson on women preachers......

I told him I had been that morning at a meeting of the people called Quakers, where I had heard a woman preach. 

Johnson: "Sir, a woman's preaching is like a dog's walking on his hind legs. It is not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all."

Boswell: Life of Johnson



* Prairie Days isn't Vandalia's fair. Prairie Days is in addition to the fair and replaces Vandalia's Brick Skid. 



No comments: