Sunday, July 19, 2020

Our Sunday Today


Thank you, Lord, for a get-together of some kind. 

We're still doing drive-in service with our church. We talk to the ministers who come up to the window. I am more of an extrovert than I thought! Even that little bit of interaction brightens my spirit.

Phillip serves us communion during the service.

That has been a bit of grace for our family. To take communion all together before Liz leaves for college.






These three are going to a youth group this afternoon that's opening up for the first time. There will be mask-wearing and social distancing and all that, but they are looking forward to getting out! 

This has been my hand project the last 6 months or more. I wove red acrylic yarn that Liz didn't want, on my little hand loom. Then I sewed all the pieces together and painted the back with non-slip rug backing. I'm going to put it in the garage or in the laundry room when I change out the rugs right before school starts (I like a new rug in the garage for back-to-school). I asked Harrison where I should put it, and he said, "Uh, probably in the laundry room." Ha! It's not very pretty (all those threads that I just left ~ I was not about to weave them all in for a rug!); but I love that I could use up yarn scraps and do something with my hands in the evenings. I saw some patterns for cloth rugs so I might give that a try next; use up old t-shirts and such. 

Well, Covid has not been super fun. But we aren't promised a life of super fun, are we. I've been reading On Reading Well by Karen Swallow Prior. It uses literature to explore different virtues. Yesterday's chapter was on Patience. She says: "Failure to recognize either the current condition of the world or the promise of its future will lead to either of the vices that patience moderates: wrath owing to an unwillingness to accept this reality of the world or dispiritedness that is a form of withdrawal from this reality."  I am definitely a withdraw-er. I don't want what's happening in our world. I don't want to deal. But I need to deal. 

I'm thankful for my neighborhood. It's been a little harbor of fellowship. I'm grateful for my Schole Sister who is an extrovert and totally up for meeting every other week for coffee and education talk. I'm grateful for my kids and husband ~ it's fun to be isolated with them ~ the kids been playing a lot of cards together and they are so funny to listen to.

I've been having trouble breathing. Not sure if it's in my head (panic attacks) or if it's a physical problem. It does seem to start when I'm outside or in the van or somewhere stuffy. I'm going to give it some time and see if I need to see a doctor. I haven't been to a doctor in 7 years....




No comments: