Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Daily Summer


What a pleasant summer we've been having.
There's enough to do that we aren't bored, but the days are easy-going too. 
I kind of wake up and wonder, "What's going on today?" 
School days are more, "Let's go, let's go, let's go!"


We've been here long enough that summers have taken on a noticeable routine. Spring Cleaning, School Planning, Friend Get-togethers, All that stuff I've wanted to do during school and didn't have time.

I've been doing much more reading than usual. All those literary podcasts I listen to are spurring me on. Right now I'm on Gaudy Night by Dorothy Sayers, Frankenstein, and Introduction to Mathematics by Nicomachus. And still working through The Great Tradition by Richard Gamble, one slow chapter at a time. My goal isn't necessarily to read that last one all the way through. But if we carry on with our book group and I make it a good way through, - say, 3/4 through- I'm definitely going to finish it.


I usually walk in the evening now that it's so hot during the day. 
But on this day I walked in the morning and it was lovely at the library.


Snail with shadow.


Harrison and his friend set up a stand to sell these hand puppets they made. 





Jon's been the fixer around here lately. 
Fixing his bike, putting in a new door knob, getting the gate unstuck. He's handy to have around!


I start reading at night and then we get a bunch of yay-hoos jumping on the bed! 
I love it. 


Phoebe and I used my sister's coffee shop birthday money to sit in a real-live open coffee shop in town. Local Coffee has shorter hours, but they've been open for several weeks now. Last time I called Starbucks they still weren't. 


Jon's been working on "Amarillo by Morning." 
His violin teacher has him transcribing the music onto paper, learning it, and then will have him put together the other instruments and lyrics in Garage Band (the app) so that he can play the violin along with it for his father. It's giving Jon some fits, but he's getting it done. 




Nina sitting amongst the Marigolds. 



The day after Liz' grad party was Harrison's birthday. 
Nana and Aupa had cake with us before they left to head back to Louisiana. 


While Teressa and Jayda were here for the grad party, we spent some time with them at the River Walk. We were all a little hesitant to go to the downtown part because of rumors of looting and such that have been going on. I know there have been protests there and have read news about looting. I'm not sure there's been much rioting downtown. I know there are armed men protecting the Alamo. 

Anyway, we didn't go to the Alamo to find out; we went to Blue Star Brewery area and then the Pearl area. 


Zachary was there and Teressa's sister and niece. It was a hot day. 
They're going to have to come back when it's cooler!


For Harrison's birthday celebration, we had some old neighbors over for the day.


And went to the newly opened Landa Park. 
All the man-made pools were closed, but the natural springs part of the park was opened. I had never been to this part of the park and it was really fun. We'll have to do it again. I know Landa can be super crazy busy, but it was not on this day; maybe because people don't know it's open. 



And a youth group that Liz is a part of had a graduation celebration at another park (another new one for me!). Liz is the only girl grad. :-) The church gave them a tool kit and camping chair and had a nice dinner and cake. We got to talk with friends we knew and met new people. It was a good time. And, again, we will have to come back to this park. Shallow river for wading or tubing....



We are midway through June with July to go before school starts. Lots of adventure awaits!






























No comments: