Saturday, December 8, 2018

Elizabeth Turns 17

That's crazy. Seventeen years old. 

She was born a tiny little thing with a head covered in black hair. She slept through the night about 2 1/2 weeks old ~ very independent from the very beginning. When Mimi tried to snuggle and rock her, she would swing her arm and face out to look at the world. She figured out how to get around as quickly as she could, which was army crawling. Since that worked so well, she didn't bother to learn how to crawl. She went straight to walking from there, although a little late by "average" standards. I think she was 16 months before she walked. 

She would get into ANYTHING she could reach. Flour strewn around the kitchen. Art drawers emptied onto my bedroom floor. Cotton balls made into "snow." Every. Day. I figured if I told her no and punished her, she would quit. But she didn't. So I finally figured out how to tape the art drawers shut and moved the flour up to the upper cabinets and put the cotton balls into the taped art drawers. One time during "nap time" (she quit naps at 18 months or so), she had everything out: drawers pulled out and emptied, closets emptied as far as she could reach, books pulled off the shelf. And she had found Vaseline and had it over E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G. Including herself. It was in her eyes, and I think she had finally starting crying which is what brought me in to check on her. I think that's when I quit "nap time." That little bit of "quiet time" that I had to myself just wasn't worth the mess to be cleaned up at the end. 

Anyway, all of that to say that she's still a go-getter! Still loves to explore new places, will go at a new interest with everything she's got. Thankfully she cleans up after herself now. She's an awesome older sister. She had so many ideas for the kids, and they would play right along. She drives them around now (Yes!), gets them in on ordering a pizza from Pizza Hut for themselves.... It sure is fun to watch these kids grow up together.



She made her birthday cake, per usual. 

She drew little pictures of her favorite things on this edible paper and attached it to her cake. 



Yarn and knitting needles, camera, the floor plans of The Mill, which she loves to visit in New Braunfels. 

A stand mixer, hot coffee drink.


No comments: