Monday, October 22, 2018

Celebrating the Life of Grandma Phoebe

The view from the front porch near Vandalia, MO.

Grandma Phoebe (Phillip's mother's mom) has been in the nursing home for the past three years. She passed away a little over a week ago at the age of 95. She was a special lady. Very sweet and kind. Always good. My roommate Jess used to register her for evening classes at our Bible college, and she would swoon over how sweet and cute Phoebe Law was. This was before Phillip and I dated, so I shared in the sweetness completely free of familial bias. 


We left at 4 am to drive to Mimi and Papa's in Missouri. I believe we've found the perfect time to get through I-35 without traffic or construction. Four am on a Sunday morning. We were through Dallas by 8:30. That's amazing. 

Galen's birthday!

We got to see both John and Galen, Phillip's siblings. John is in Missouri, Galen's in Florida and we're in Texas. It takes some doing to get all the siblings together. Well, they weren't together really. We saw John and Kristy at the beginning of the week and we saw Galen at the end of the week. But at least we saw them both, if not at the same time. 

Our Phoebe reading in the rocking chair.

Grandma Phoebe was a writer of poetry. I used two of her poems in Laying Down the Rails for Children; she was published in the newspaper and other places as well, I believe. Here's one of her fun poems.

What the Folk Don't Know

I used to think that school was dull, 
And so unnecessary.
Now the folk wonder why I love
Each subject that I carry.

They wonder why I dress so neat,
Why I want such pretty curls.
Why I do not care for boy friends
Like most of the other girls.

I used to never care a bit
If I disobeyed the rule.
But now I behave the nicest
Of most any girl in school.

I gaze into the teacher's face,
And cling to his every word.
But somehow when we take a test,
I forget the things I've heard.

But if you'll promise not to tell
Another single creature,
I'll tell you what the folk don't know;
I'm in love with the teacher. 
                                     by Phoebe Ferguson

 The boys and nerf guns at Mimi's house. Nerf bullets everywhere!

Harrison loves going down the stairs head first. 

Grandma Phoebe became Phoebe Ferguson at age 15 (almost 16). Phoebe and Roger Ferguson had 6 children. The three sons are all preachers. The three daughters are faithful Christian wives and mothers. Roger died at age 59, and Phoebe married Harry Law some years later. They were married almost 30 years. Harry passed away only a couple weeks before Phoebe did. 


At the college library with Patty Agee, a good friend and mentor to me when I was in college.

Since we were in Missouri and Elizabeth is a Junior in high school, we thought we'd get in a college visit for her at our alma mater. Grandma Phoebe's three sons all graduated from Central. Several of her grandchildren (including Phillip) also attended/graduated. Phillip's mom, Elayne, attended and taught there. Paul was on the board. It's kind of a family place. So, I don't know for sure if Liz will attend, but she was certainly happy with the visit. 

And we got to see a missionary friend who just happened to be there! 

Jen Ren has been on the field for 20 or so years. It was encouraging to talk with her.

Sitting around after the funeral.

Many cousins, aunts and uncles were in town for Grandma's funeral. Phillip and Uncle Earl did the service. Phillip preached a good Gospel sermon. Earl shared memories of his mother. Jonathan was a pallbearer for the first time. Wayne from church played the guitar and sang. He also did the music for our Vandalia wedding reception. It's amazing to me that someone who lived in Vandalia 18 years ago is still around to continue their gifting in connection with our family. But Grandma Phoebe grew up in Vandalia, and Mimi and Papa grew up in Vandalia, and so did Phillip. Some people still do that ~ live in the same place they grew up. Amazing.

Chatting. And checking the market.

Grandma Phoebe was usually there for a meal or a birthday celebration just about anytime we would visit Mimi and Papa when we lived closer. One time early in our marriage (or maybe when we were dating) we were all sitting around talking when suddenly Grandma blurted out, "Why! Lanaya has good teeth!" That just cracked us all up. I was glad I could bring 'good teeth' to the family. :-) 

Snacking.

Mateo is a little boy adopted into Uncle Earl's family. Mateo loves his Grandpa.




As dressed up as they've ever been. 

Proud of my kids. Our Phoebe Ruth is named after Grandma Phoebe, but she really is a mixture more of my mom and Paul's side of the family. But we were proud to name her after her Grandmother.

Mimi shares a story about Grandma Phoebe's birth: 

 Phoebe’s Grandma Wagner did not think she would live because her kidneys were not functioning; therefore, she would not let anyone hold the new baby. However, Phoebe’s eleven year old sister Vivian wanted to hold her. Phoebe’s mother, Katie, said, “What’s the harm? Let her hold the baby even if she is going to die!” Vivian carried her to the other room, sat in the rocking chair and sang and rocked her for quite some time. When she brought the baby back she told them that she “knew that her baby sister was going to live because she had been praying to God about it.” Not long after that, word was brought to her mother that Phoebe’s kidney’s were “working.” 


Farming.

We had been watching tractors and combines run afar off while we were visiting last week. I was looking out the window one evening and said, "Well, I was hoping to watch them harvest that field across the road, but I guess we'll be leaving before they get to it." And what do you know, but Mimi pointed out a combine just coming down a swath of the field. So we got to watch some harvesting that evening.

The two Phoebes 10 years ago. 

Grandma Phoebe was good. Like Phillip said in his sermon, all that goodness doesn't count for anything at the end of life on earth. What counts is what we do with Jesus. Grandma submitted her life to Jesus; she trusted him to save her from her sins. Her goodness inspires us; it made life nice for us. But her faith in Christ gives us hope. A hope for a much better life after this one. Hope for more than I even know to name.


No comments: