Friday, April 27, 2018

My Birthday

So these might be weird pictures to describe a birthday, but it's what I got. 


Elizabeth bought an ice cream cake (my request), and Harrison picked out flowers for me.


My older brother says turning 39 is easier the second or third time you do it. I really don't mind. I'd rather be mature than a bumbling 20-year-old idiot. Not that you have to be an idiot at 20. Seems to me like the chances are just higher.

But would I rather be a mature, non-bumbling 20 year-old? Now there's a question to ponder. I've been reading a book about philosophy by Josef Pieper. Maybe he can help me in my pondering.


Phillip took me to visit a little antique/book store near Cibolo and then we went out for BBQ at Harmon's: Pulled pork, cream corn and coleslaw. I get a piece of bread, put onion and pickles and pork on it, slather it with bbq sauce and fold it over for a half sandwich.  Harmon's is good food in a neat little downtown area of an old town that's growing. They haven't modernized the downtown area ~ new stores are moving in, but they're keeping the old buildings. We love the ambience. 




And I had to get pictures of my boys reading on my birthday. Jonathan is reading for school. Harrison actually read through his Pathways First Reader that he just finished. He took a year to finish reading it for school (we did short sections at a time and started it last year in 1st grade). But once he was done, he wanted to read through the thing on his own. He did it in an evening and the next day. He was very proud of himself for reading it on my birthday. 



No comments: