Thursday, September 28, 2017

Passed Through Beaumont

Mom and Dad were in Louisiana, so the kids and I made a very quick trip over to see them. We are always happy to head East on I-10 because we pass through Beaumont and usually get to stop and see Liz' camp friends. 


This time we saw what Hurricane Harvey had done to the area. We did not see anything like this in Houston (granted, I don't think we were in the part of Houston that had flooded). But both sides of the streets in their neighborhood and throughout town were laden with flooded belongings and housing material. Our friends had had 5 1/2 feet of water (sewage water) in their home. Their church that they had evacuated to had also suddenly begun to take on water and their vehicles were lost in that flooding. They stayed with another family for three weeks and have now found a place to rent while they reconstruct their home. 


Elizabeth is doing a cookie fundraiser for their home. She has lots of orders to fill this week, but once it settles down, I'll post her blurb so my peeps can participate if they wish. You can also simply donate to the Goebel's if you would like to help them rebuild their home. Their PayPal email address is Tolliecorder@gmail.com. They (and many others from their church) have been amazing friends to Liz; we kind of like them. 


Strangely enough, I got no pictures of the kids with my parents. My phone kept dying on me every time I thought to take a picture. But we had a picnic with them at Girard Park in Lafayette. We sat together at church on Sunday. And we had lunch with Mr. Wallace and Mrs. Aline Hebert and family after church. We got to see my cousin's baby who had had surgery when she was born. My mom has been helping them take care of the baby. The kids were smitten with her. She was so precious. No tears the whole time we were there! 


We stopped at Lake Charles (the actual lake, not just the town). Liz has been wanting to every time we pass by. I thought, "What the heck? Let's do it." So we waded for 12 minutes and then washed our feet and headed back down the road toward home. 



No comments: