Saturday, July 21, 2007

Library Party ~ Woo hoo!







It has been an interesting summer of observation at the library for the summer reading program. This is the first year that we've been able to make it to most of the reading sessions and the end of summer party. I love librarians! They are an interesting lot (and I don't say any of this in a negative light because I wanted to be a librarian when I was little. I think it's because I liked to read so much). The day- time librarians here are a little stricter than the night-time ones, I think. "You must wear shoes in the library" (even if your son has eczema on his feet and shoes irritate it). "You must not run." When 30 kids are playing with a parachute for a game during story hour, "no children may run underneath" (even though a parachute begs for kids to hide underneath it!). I don't believe any of the day-time librarians have children at home. So when we went to the party this morning, I was a curious to see how it would go. I was surprised that it went very well! I attribute that to the night-time librarians putting it on and came up with my theory of day vs. night while doing the kids' craft at the party. Yes, I had to do their craft because they couldn't do it. It was more for older kids, but I enjoyed it and was kind of glad they weren't able to do it! It's called an Ojo de Dios (Eye of God) and was inspired by something a certain kind of Mexican Indian used to make. Jonathan is holding his in his hands in the picture above. We played some games and got some cookies and did a little Mexican dance and got a cool $20 children's dictionary as a prize. That was my favorite part! I"ve been wanting a Children's dictionary, but didn't want to pay that much money for one right now. Elizabeth is wearing her new skates above. She's been wearing them all over the house and outside since she got them. Jonathan has been sending his toys to work with Dad. A car, a superman figure. And then when Dad comes back he wants to know where they are. He also put his new spiderman folder in Dad's computer case as if that's the very place it belonged. Phoebe is learning how not to throw fits. She is kenai (is that how you spell it, Mom?) or ornery. She will do exactly what i had just told her not to do with a sly smile on her face as if it were a game. So we are working on that also.

No comments: