Monday, April 22, 2024

Birthdays and Solar Eclipse and Prom




The weekend after Phillip and I were in Florida, Jamie and Christy (our preacher and wife) were in Florida for a family member's funeral and went to church with Jonathan. How neat that Jon got to see some more home faces! 

I love this picture because it's MMT versus Advance. Jamie is starting MMT and Kemper will be one of the first students. Jim Book started Advance and Jon is one of their first(ish) students. 😄 They're both doing good work in different parts of the country. 


We were going to chase the totality of the solar eclipse, but everywhere that was remotely close was calling for partly cloudy. I just didn't want to drive 2-3 hours with a chance that we wouldn't be able to watch it. So we stayed home with clear skies and saw 95% totality.  We could tell definitely that it got cooler. I'm not sure we noticed a difference in the nature noise though. 



Phoebe turned 18! Unfortunately she had the ACT's on her birthday, so we had to celebrate on other days. We had pound cake with Mimi and Papa for Sunday lunch.


Harrison attacked her with water guns, and goaded her into a long water gun fight. We did have some really warm weather that day.


Planting has started! So fun to watch. Love it.


They're still out there planting in the sunset.


We had the weirdest storm come through last Thursday. Harrison and I were driving home from town and saw what I thought was a really low, wide cloud on the ground. Then I thought it was smoke, but it covered a huge area as if it were a prairie fire. I finally realized it was just dirt being whipped up into the air. We got home to find one of our tree trunks down and lots of wind. It passed fairly quickly and we got a little rain. Some people got lots of hail. Some people said they saw tornadoes. We had a thick layer of dirt on our front and back porch. But I think everyone weathered it without much damage.


Phillip got a Massey-Ferguson 165! 




Katelyn invited Phoebe to prom again, and Phoebe enjoyed all the prep and primping.


She found her dress online again. I thought it had a 1920's look to it. Especially with the beads. I love the embroidered flowers on it. (Actual flowers given to her by Ainsley for her birthday.)



It was cold again this year, so she wore my blue jean jacket.


Pics by Sutton

Phoebe and Katelyn.

Pics by Sutton

Jayden, Joe, Kemper, Ainsley, Katelyn, Phoebe.


Waiting for promenade at Van-Far high school.


Elayne cooked lunch for Sunday dinner for my birthday. She made a delicious lemon layered dessert. 


I need to get pictures of the dutch oven they gave me as part of my gift. I'm seasoning it in the oven right now.


Part of Phoebe's birthday with friends was touring Rockcliffe Mansion in Hannibal. It was finished in 1900 and is a sort of Art Nuevo style. It cost about $250,000 for the building and furnishings and such. (The inflation calculator tells me that would be over $9 million today.) The architect who built it also built the governor's house in Jefferson City and the Cathedral Basilica in St. Louis. 

I loved the embroidered flowers on these curtains.


This is a reproduction of a Raphael Madonna. There were a lot of paintings in the home, but I didn't know the artists. That's a little statue of Pan on the side.

Mr. Cruikshank was a lumber guy in Hannibal. He apparently was a very successful lumber guy, because he spent a lot of money on his wife and daughters! He actually had a house moved (a large house too) so that he could build the mansion on this certain spot that had a beautiful view of the town. We noted how short the beds were and the guide told us Mr. Cruikshank was the tallest of his family at 5'3''. His wife was 4'9''!!


We ate at the Mark Twain Dinette for lunch. Best fried green tomatoes! 
Ainsley, Bryn, Gabry, Kenna, me, Phoebe, Katelyn.


We walked around downtown Hannibal. The girls enjoying some record browsing.







 

No comments: