Friday, August 27, 2021

School Begins

 

I did something when trying to edit this blog post, and it disappeared on me. So this is attempt two at "School Begins."



First day of School picture taken by Dad. 
Caption those faces for me. They perfectly typify these kids on this most glorious of school mornings.

Jonathan is taking Agricultural Structures at the local high school (Thank you, Missouri, for allowing homeschool kids to take a class or two), and the rest of the classes are all at home.


The kids playing pool at Mimi and Papa's. They have their own playlist of pool music, which I find very funny.


One little kitten seems to have survived. A tabby with white paws. She's skittish and we think she lives out in the field instead of under the house now. Maybe something got to the other kittens under the house? I miss the pretty soft-gray ones. 



We bought an old croquet set from Bear Branch Market (highly recommend this place!). I'd like to get a Corn Hole game too since we have so much space in our yard, and it's not deathly hot half the year.



These frog pictures are for my mother. She LOVES frogs! (not)






Phoebe has her driving permit!

Dad took her out for her first drive down the gravel road. She let him take over to do a three-point turn for coming home. When I took her out, she wanted to try a turn and ended up doing a seven or eight-point turn. She kept reassuring me - "It's fine, Mom! I'm not going to drive into somebody's beans!" She got it done and got us home. Now commences the 40ish hours of driving before the license next year.

And I read something funny in Dietrich Bonhoeffer's Letters the other day. He was writing about his fiancé Maria and how he can't handle the books she likes to read:

"Unfortunately, I am not yet of one mind with Maria in the area of literature. She writes me such truly good, un-self-conscious letters, but she reads and sends me and loves, of all people, Rilke, Bergengruen, Binding, Wiechert, of whom I consider the latter three beneath our level and the first outright unhealthy. Thus actually none of them suits her at all.... One would need to be able to talk about such things to each other.... I would very much like for my wife to be in agreement with me as fully as possible in such matters.... I don't like it at all when wives and husbands are of different opinions. They must stand together like an unassailable bulwark. Don't you agree? Or does this also belong in some way to my "tyrannical" nature that you know so intimately?"


I wonder how all of that would have worked itself out if he had lived?  


No comments: